Long-term testosterone therapy improves urinary and sexual function and quality of life
- The greatest improvement in erectile function, LUTS and AMS scores occurred during the first 2 years of testosterone treatment, and benefits continue to manifest years after therapeutic testosterone levels have been achieved.
What is known about testosterone, sexual and urinary function
What this study adds
Lower urinary tract symptoms
Figure 1: Improvement in IPSS in testosterone treated men compared to untreated men during 8-year follow-up.
Post-void bladder volume
Figure 2: Improvement in post-void residual bladder volume in testosterone treated men compared to untreated men during 8-year follow-up.
Figure 3: Improvement in IIEF-EF in testosterone treated men compared to untreated men during 8-year follow-up.
Aging Male Symptom (AMS) score
Figure 4: Improvement in AMS scores in testosterone treated men compared to untreated men during 8-year follow-up.
Prostate volume and Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA)
- Morgentaler A, Zitzmann M, Traish AM, et al. Fundamental Concepts Regarding Testosterone Deficiency and Treatment: International Expert Consensus Resolutions. Mayo Clin Proc. 2016;91(7):881-896. Return to content
- Traish AM, Haider A, Haider KS, Doros G, Saad F. Long-Term Testosterone Therapy Improves Cardiometabolic Function and Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease in Men with Hypogonadism: A Real-Life Observational Registry Study Setting Comparing Treated and Untreated (Control) Groups. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2017;22(5):414-433. Return to content
- Snyder PJ, Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, et al. Effects of Testosterone Treatment in Older Men. N Engl J Med. 2016;374(7):611-624. Return to content
- Jarvis TR, Chughtai B, Kaplan SA. Testosterone and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Asian journal of andrology. 2015;17(2):212-216. Return to content
- Haider KS, Haider A, Doros G, Traish A. Long-Term Testosterone Therapy Improves Urinary and Sexual Function, and Quality of Life in Men with Hypogonadism: Results from a Propensity Matched Subgroup of a Controlled Registry Study. J Urol. 2018;199(1):257-265. Return to content
- Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Hayes FJ, et al. Testosterone therapy in men with androgen deficiency syndromes: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95(6):2536- 2559. Return to content
- Haider A, Gooren LJ, Padungtod P, Saad F. Concurrent improvement of the metabolic syndrome and lower urinary tract symptoms upon normalisation of plasma testosterone levels in hypogonadal elderly men. Andrologia. 2009;41(1):7-13. Return to content
- Hildreth KL, Barry DW, Moreau KL, et al. Effects of testosterone and progressive resistance exercise in healthy, highly functioning older men with low-normal testosterone levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(5):1891-1900. Return to content
- Del Fabbro E, Garcia JM, Dev R, et al. Testosterone replacement for fatigue in hypogonadal ambulatory males with advanced cancer: a preliminary double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Support Care Cancer. 2013;21(9):2599- 2607. Return to content
- Kenny AM, Kleppinger A, Annis K, et al. Effects of transdermal testosterone on bone and muscle in older men with low bioavailable testosterone levels, low bone mass, and physical frailty. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010;58(6):1134-1143. Return to content
- Kalinchenko SY, Tishova YA, Mskhalaya GJ, Gooren LJ, Giltay EJ, Saad F. Effects of testosterone supplementation on markers of the metabolic syndrome and inflammation in hypogonadal men with the metabolic syndrome: the double-blinded placebo-controlled Moscow study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010;73(5):602-612. Return to content
- Srinivas-Shankar U, Roberts SA, Connolly MJ, et al. Effects of testosterone on muscle strength, physical function, body composition, and quality of life in intermediate-frail and frail elderly men: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95(2):639-650. Return to content
- Tan WS, Low WY, Ng CJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of long-acting intramuscular testosterone undecanoate in aging men: a randomised controlled study. BJU Int. 2013;111(7):1130-1140. Return to content
- Kohn TP, Mata DA, Ramasamy R, Lipshultz LI. Effects of Testosterone Therapy on Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Eur Urol. 2016;69(6):1083-1090. Return to content
- Kathrins M, Doersch K, Nimeh T, Canto A, Niederberger C, Seftel A. The Relationship Between Testosterone-Replacement Therapy and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms: A Systematic Review. Urology. 2016;88:22-32. Return to content
- DeLay KJ, Kohler TS. Testosterone and the Prostate: Artifacts and Truths. Urol Clin North Am. 2016;43(3):405-412. Return to content
- Baas W, Kohler TS. Testosterone Therapy and BPH/LUTS. What is the Evidence? Current urology reports. 2016;17(6):46. Return to content
- Ko YH, Moon du G, Moon KH. Testosterone replacement alone for testosterone deficiency syndrome improves moderate lower urinary tract symptoms: one year follow-up. The world journal of men's health. 2013;31(1):47-52. Return to content
- Kalinchenko S, Vishnevskiy EL, Koval AN, Mskhalaya GJ, Saad F. Beneficial effects of testosterone administration on symptoms of the lower urinary tract in men with late-onset hypogonadism: a pilot study. The aging male : the official journal of the International Society for the Study of the Aging Male. 2008;11(2):57-61. Return to content
- Francomano D, Ilacqua A, Bruzziches R, Lenzi A, Aversa A. Effects of 5-year treatment with testosterone undecanoate on lower urinary tract symptoms in obese men with hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome. Urology. 2014;83(1):167-173. Return to content
- Okada K, Miyake H, Ishida T, et al. Improved Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Associated With Testosterone Therapy in Japanese Men With Late-Onset Hypogonadism. American journal of mens' health. 2016. Return to content
- Shigehara K, Sugimoto K, Konaka H, et al. Androgen replacement therapy contributes to improving lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with hypogonadism and benign prostate hypertrophy: a randomised controlled study. The aging male : the official journal of the International Society for the Study of the Aging Male. 2011;14(1):53-58. Return to content
- Morales A, Bebb RA, Manjoo P, et al. Diagnosis and management of testosterone deficiency syndrome in men: clinical practice guideline. Appendix available at: http://www.cmaj.ca/content/suppl/2015/10/26/cmaj.150033.DC1/15-0033-1-at.pdf (accessed Jan 8, 2018). CMAJ. 2015;187(18):1369-1377. Return to content
- Dean JD, McMahon CG, Guay AT, et al. The International Society for Sexual Medicine's Process of Care for the Assessment and Management of Testosterone Deficiency in Adult Men. The journal of sexual medicine. 2015;12(8):1660-1686. Return to content
- Hackett GI. Controversies in the diagnosis and management of testosterone deficiency syndrome. CMAJ. 2015;187(18):1342-1344. Return to content