What is low testosterone?
Although not a common condition, it is hard to say exactly how many men have low testosterone. Doctors believe that 5 in 1,000 men are living with some form of hypogonadism. The number of men with low testosterone increases with age and as many as 1 in 5 European men over the age of 50 have moderate or severe symptoms of testosterone deficiency.
Figure 1: Effects of testosterone
Figure: Effects of testosterone
Signs & symptoms
The benefits of testosterone replacement on sexual function, fat and lean body mass and bone density in men with low testosterone are clear. The potential benefits of testosterone replacement in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome and diabetes are still being investigated.
- Controls sexual function (sex drive, erectile function, orgasm)
- Reduces lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS)
- Increases muscle mass
- Increases strength
- Decreases overall body fat mass
- Decreases belly (visceral) fat mass
- Increases bone mineral density